79 CJ 7 wide track rear axle swap

79 CJ 7 wide track rear axle swap

cjmutt

Jeeper
Thanks
My rear AMC20 shaft is split in 2. I want to replace the entire axle with one from a totally different vehicle. The AMC20 has given me too much grief. Running 31" tires, 3.54 gear. Will use mostly on highway, maybe sand dunes eventually. Yes, it is a wide track.
1. Should I keep the front Dana 30 (which is not cuasing me any issues), or replace as a set?
2. What is a good, almost direct replacement of an axle without going thru alot of extra work?
3. If looking thru a junkyard, what should I look or ask for?

I just want to get this back on the road simple and at reasonable cost.

The 8.8 out of a Explorer is a good swap.

I put an 8.8 under my YJ-7 and have never had a problem with it and i wheel it hard. It might be a little wide for a CJ tho. Have you thought of installing a set of moser axles? Might be a better option and maybe even cheaper.

I could be wrong, but I thought 79 AMC20 axels were narrow track. But anyway, I would go with the Moser 1 piece axel kit and be done with it. I would think it would be easier and you would have a good axel when finished.

The explorer 8.8 or 44 out of a scout would be the closest, both are around 59" wide.
The 8.8 is offset 2" to the pass. side, just so you know. It's a lot stronger than the 20 or the 44 and comes with disc brakes. The only thing you need to do to the 8.8 is move the spring perches, change the driveshaft u-joint, and deal with the e-brake.
The front 30 shouldn't give you any trouble with 31's.

Last edited:
And run different rims since the 8.8 has a smaller bolt pattern.

And run different rims since the 8.8 has a smaller bolt pattern.

Right, forgot about that. I redrilled my axles and rotors.

Sorry, had to redo my info as I lost my password and (try as I might), I could not retrieve it. Anyway, so what gearing would match from the 8.8? Assuming I have a front Dana 30 (BTW, how would I know?) with a 3.55 (since the rear is 3.54), do I need to stick with the 3.54? Or can I go with a 3.73? Or is it possible reusing the gears out of the AMC20? BTW, the way I knew the rear was a wide track is I purchased a narrow track for parts and the length was alot smaller than mine. We also purchased a new wide 1 piece shaft before all this happened.

Last edited:
Sorry, had to redo my info as I lost my password and (try as I might), I could not retrieve it. Anyway, so what gearing would match from the 8.8? Assuming I have a front Dana 30 (BTW, how would I know?) with a 3.55 (since the rear is 3.54), do I need to stick with the 3.54? Or can I go with a 3.73? Or is it possible reusing the gears out of the AMC20? BTW, the way I knew the rear was a wide track is I purchased a narrow track for parts and the length was alot smaller than mine. We also purchased a new wide 1 piece shaft before all this happened.
Unless you find a 8.8 with the same gear ratio you will have to regear the front to match the back or the 8.8 to match the front. and no you will not be able to use the AMC20 gears in the 8.8. And i will bet you still have the 30 in the front.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks