79 cj 5 issues (help)

79 cj 5 issues (help)

Dakhart

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 cj5
Hello all,
I'm new to this site just need some advice here! I picked up a 1979 cj 5 with 76000 miles original owner for dirt cheap. I got it running and brought it to the farm. It ran great started fine but as u dive and come to a stop sign or slow down it dies. I've tried to play with the carb. however don't know much about them but it seemed to do nothing to it still having the same problem can someone give advice or any ideas of what I can do to fix it

Welcome,

That's a little over 2000 miles a year, adjusting the carb won't do much it needs to come off and rebuilt. While the carb is being rebuilt I would do a complete tune-up.

Typically carb work is the last thing you should do when tuning your engine adjusting the carb first will/can mask other issues.

Hope this helps

It could be a leaky power brake booster. As you apply the brakes the manifold vacumn is released and will kill the engine. A way to confirm this would be to block off the vacumn line to the booster from the intake manifold and go for a test drive, being careful as the power brakes would be disconnected.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks