Build Thread 73 cj 5 rebuild 15k later before and after

Build Thread 73 cj 5 rebuild 15k later before and after

Mattduran

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
73 cj5
Hi guys. Wanted to share my 73 CJ5 rebuild project with you. Iv owned/rebuilt many of jeeps over the years and each time I purchase another jeep I customize it in ways better then the previous jeep owned. Learning as I go and taking on the project yourself can be a fun experience. I'm not going to lie frustrating at times but all said and done well worth it. This particular project jeep was purchased back in 2005 site on seen for $3000 yes 3K! We spent top dollar on it only because of the fact this had the original steel body which was something I really desired. There were only a couple years with this particular body that had this style of logo on the original steel tub. No surprise the jeep was in much worse shape then planned. The jeep was supposedly in running condition but was a very sad site. Really the key parts were a decent body and solid frame. Everything else was going to be changed.

Some of the Modification/Changes to Jeep are below:
Custom shackle reverse Added abt 1.5"
4" Skyjacker Suspension
Fox Shocks/ Recently changed to RS9000 With gauges
304 V8 ENGINE WITH A LARGER CAM AND HOLLY CARB
Dual Electric flexalite Fans
Painless wiring harness
msd ignition, wires and coil
Power steering setup with brace
Dual Optima batterys
Dual Flomaster Exhaust
T-18A TRANSMISSION
Narrowed Dana 44 Scout Axles
Arb lockers front/rear
High clearance U bolt kit
High steering tie rods
Braided skyjacker brake lines
High clearance gas tank
chevy steering column
BUMPERS
Warn winch with Amsteel Blue Line
Aluminum Dash
GAUGES
Cd Player
SEATS
SUPER SWAMPER TIRES
AMERICAN RACING RIMS
DIAMOND PLATE SIDES AND CORNERS
Stainless grill overlay
Full Rollcage
And more.

Pictures of the transformation below.

Customized in a way that allows for great offroading capabilities and can handle the pavement just fine.

http://hotjeepparts.com is a great source for all your parts and accessories at great prices.
pictures_flying_jeep_023_thumb.jpg

pictures_flying_jeep_025_thumb.jpg
swallow_jeep_pics_033_thumb.jpg
_68775_thumb.jpg
swallow_jeep_pics_039_thumb.jpg
_956281_thumb.jpg
_253722_thumb.jpg
summer_06_030_thumb.jpg
skiing_002_thumb.jpg
sleding_fishing_07_089_thumb.jpg

summer_07_121_thumb.jpg
summer_07_125_thumb.jpg
summer_07_123_thumb.jpg
summer_07_122_thumb.jpg
summer_07_157_thumb.jpg
summer_07_158_thumb.jpg
summer_07_163_thumb.jpg
summer_07_170_thumb.jpg
summer_07_169_thumb.jpg
summer_07_177_thumb.jpg
summer_07_188_thumb.jpg
summer_07_187_thumb.jpg
jeep_portfolio_002_thumb.jpg
jeep_portfolio_010_thumb.jpg
_198759_thumb.jpg
summer_06_074_thumb.jpg
summer_06_070_thumb.jpg
_912558_thumb.jpg
hotjeepparts_thumb.gif

Last edited:
:chug: :chug: :chug: Looks good you have a lot of work into it

Hi, what kind of steering column did you use in the CJ5? I've got a 74cj5 and was wanting to change the steering column. any suggestions on what will work? Thanks Jess

Hi, what kind of steering column did you use in the CJ5? I've got a 74cj5 and was wanting to change the steering column. any suggestions on what will work? Thanks Jess

Hi. I'm unaware of any newer column that would be an easy task in install in an older cj unless you bought new which would have the same spline count of the exsisting steering column you currently have if still using the factory manual steering. Honestly my best suggestion would be to get an 80's model jeep column and converting your pre power steering unit over to power steering all at the same time. Grabbing a column, power steering shaft, power steering box, Pump, hoses, and all mounts from one unit would be an incredibly smart thing to do. Sounds like a scary project but it is relatively simple. The biggest issue with adapting this set up from experience I would say the column. Mostly just mounting of the column if you went with the complete conversion from manual to power steering I spoke of above. Everything else you can do with common tools.
With my Jeep I decided to adapted an early 80's bronco steering column into my 73cj5. It turned out to be a fair amount of work to adapt. Mounting, wiring, steering shaft adapting form the old spline count to new, all took some time with the route I chose. I also converted to power steering at the same time. Grabbing the shaft, box, pump and hoses from a newer cj. An easy way to mount your column to the column mount is to use a large u bolt, which will wrap around your new column and fit into exsising mount holes on the column mount. On my jeep I also made a couple brackets for extra support (I always want my column to have no play in them so you can almost hang off them) Adapting my wiring harness to this bronco column I had to find the wiring schematics. Well worth the time it took to have this old cj with all the nice features of wipers, lights, and blinkers all in the column. If your real ambitious even cruise control! :) I had the power steering shaft and the bronco shaft. Next was adapting them to work. Neither shaft will work with both the newer bronco column and CJ power steering box so I cut and welded the two correct shafts together and utilized the collapsible part in the new shaft I made. Caution if you do go this rout be sure to have a professional do the cutting and welding on your steering shaft. As for the box, pump and hoses this was easy. Just make sure you have all the mounts for the pump, and box. If the pump you grab was used on a different motor then yours you may have to make/find a mount for your particular engine. Overall this project is a huge upgrade and for the time/money spent I think it should be one of the 1st to consider. If your running larger tires, or doing some off roading you will be very happy you did this upgrade. Thank you

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom