Engine '69 Dauntless V-6 swap for a '86 4.2??

Engine '69 Dauntless V-6 swap for a '86 4.2??

Joe28

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Between jeeps
Here is my problem,( today).
HAD a '89 YJ, with tired 4.2 . I bought a ," rebuild able " 86 4.2 to redo and drop in it.
Got a WILD offer to sell the YJ ( everything I own is for sale.... At the right price)! Couldn't refuse, so now it's gone.
New owner didn't want rebuilt 4.2 on engine stand??!!
So, now the fresh motor sits in corner of shop crying!
I found '69 CJ 5, looks great, but, has Dauntless V-6 motor in it, ( I assuming original drive line).
1). Do they make an adapter to convert this to a 4.2?
2) who makes something like this??
I understand that motor mounts, linkages, radiator, exhaust etc. will have to be fabricated.
I've done a few Jeep swaps before, Pinto engine in a Willys 2B, Chevy 283 in a 70's CJ, Ford 302 in a Willys Wagon, so, I'm not totally in the dark here.
Thoughts? Ideas? Any info?
Tanks!!
Joe
This is my '" LAST Jeep Project!!

The 69 CJ has a short nose. Check to see if you can fit the inline six 4.2.

Check with Novak for the adaptation.

Last Jeep project...🤣🤣🤣
seriously though, short nose, I'd use a Buick 3800 V6, check with Novak

Last Jeep project...
seriously though, short nose, I'd use a Buick 3800 V6, check with Novak
If you're going that far might as well use one of the super charged Buick 3800s

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

You don't really gain anything with that swap but a major fitment problem. There was a good reason AMC extended the fenders and hood in 1972 to accommodate those longer straight 6's.

But back to the original issue. The 225 V6, in my opinion, was the best stock engine ever installed in ANY CJ. Light, compact, and an abundance of low end torque. It also responds very well to an aluminum 4 barrel intake/carb, and headers, with or without a cam change. If the current 225 needs a rebuild, pretty much all of the later 231's will bolt in, odd fire or even fire. A Buick 350 will also sort of bolt in-another excellent Jeep engine. Also relatively light and possesses a long stroke with excellent bottom end torque.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks