Diff 4:11 or 4:56

Differentials
Diff 4:11 or 4:56

407-loco

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7
Its time for gears running a 4.2 with a T-150 and 33in swampers. It has 3:54 gears in it now. Was torn between 4:11 and 4:56 it will mostly be drove on back roads and in the woods no hwy or over 50 55mph.

Since no hwy you might as well go all in. Mine is 4.2 with T176 and 3.54 Would be better with 5 speed. I have 4:1 in transfer case so don’t really need the lower gearing like you want.

I'm running 4.56 with a t5 trans. You should run an rpm calculator for the two gearings, and you should be able to decide which gives you both hwy and offroad for your rig. Easy google will give you multiple calculators. My rpms at 65 with the five speed are around 2800 so not a problem to run hwy all day.

Changing tire size will also change your rpm's. If I jump up to 35s, my rpm's decrease at hwy speeds. I'm happy with the set up I'm using.

Ya it definitely depends on what you want to do with your jeep, the lower you go the slower you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a D300 it might be cheaper to go 4 to 1 gears in your tcase and keep your taller gears for a better on road manners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front end is trashed was when I got the jeep have always planned on putting lockers front and rear and lower gears just wasn't sure how low to go before its too low.

The front end is trashed was when I got the jeep have always planned on putting lockers front and rear and lower gears just wasn't sure how low to go before its too low.
4.11 would work fine, I have 3.73 in mine with no overdrive on 33's works pretty well if this was a trail only jeep my thinking would be 4.27 or 4.56 and either 33's or 35's.

4.11 would work fine, I have 3.73 in mine with no overdrive on 33's works pretty well if this was a trail only jeep my thinking would be 4.27 or 4.56 and either 33's or 35's.
It's a Is glorified golf cart

I have 35" tires, a Dana 300, and an auto trans with overdrive. My rig sees more highway use than offroad. I went with 4.56 gears and run about 2150 RPM at 65mph. Thought about 4.10 gears, but still wanted more torque when towing a trailer or on the trails at the deer camp. With 33" tires, I would have stuck with the 4.10 option. With my combination and in 4H I can spin all four 35's on pavement. And with my shift kit and in 2H it'll scratch the rear ones again when it shifts into 2nd when I'm hitting the pedal hard. So great startup, good offroad use, and still not too high revving on the freeway.

With my combination and in 4H I can spin all four 35's on pavement. And with my shift kit and in 2H it'll scratch the rear ones again when it shifts into 2nd when I'm hitting the pedal hard. So great startup, good offroad use, and still not too high revving on the freeway.
420 hp helps a little :)

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
TS, you might beat me at take off with your automatic. I will redline in second gear past 60 MPH very fast. At this point you will be left in the dust. :)

Loco, a 4 speed with granny first would’ve given you the best of both worlds with those gears and tires.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks