304 verses 258

304 verses 258

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
I would really like to have the V8 but just cant seem to find one. I live in Texarkana and have looked as far as 200 miles out. So what would be the differences in the two? Would I notice that much more power with a v8? What are the differences in horsepower between the two stock from the factory? If I get this one with the six cylinder It will get dual exhaust, carb, intake, distributor and probably a new cam.

1981 Jeep CJ7 Renegade

I guess you mean you're looking for the whole jeep with a v-8?
I have both a 258 and 304 versions and while 304 does seem to have more lowend torque, I have not notice a big difference in power.
The v-8 definately has the wow factor but if I were going to race them side by side I'd put my money on the 258.

Yes the common jeep seems to be the CJ7 with a six cylinder. Like I said though, I'll install a header etc, etc. It should be fine.

I found this on wiki. The 258 may have even more power than late 304's

The 304 had a displacement of 303.92 CID (4,980.3 cc) which produced 210 hp (157 kW) in 1970-71 and was built starting in 1970.[5] Later models produced less power from the factory, going down yearly. 1972-78 models were rated at 150 hp (112 kW). It was rated at 130 hp (97 kW) in 1979, the last year it was installed in passenger cars, and 125 hp (93 kW) in 1980-81, the last years it was used in Jeep vehicles.
AMC V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The AMC 304 was a factory option from 1972 to 1980 in a CJ hence the reason for the I6 being more prevalent. I have owned both and find that the I6 has more low end grunt than the V8 but the V8 is capable of producing more power. If you want to swap in an AMC V8 for the I6 it is a pretty simple job as you can basically use all OEM parts; you do need to move the passenger side motor mount but that’s it. Applicable smog laws may be more of a head ache than anything else.

I would focus on the overall condition and “goodies” on the jeep for the price and put the motor size 2nd.

going to look at a CJ7 in a little while. It has the 258 with a four speed and looks to be in really good shape. I'm not going to be concered any more about it having a v8 since part of the fun is putting performance parts on. There is another project jeep for sale in my town for $800 and it has a v8. I may just go look at it also. It's all there and would be nice to have a spare.

Difference in the 258 to the 304 is the torque. 195 to 245 or 285 on the 360. No comparison in the driving. Just my $0.02 now having a 360 in my I6 CJ7

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks