258 Block thread size at motor mount

258 Block thread size at motor mount

DaveMueller

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ5 with an '88 258 from a YJ.
AMC20, D30, D20, T150.
I'm picking up a motor this weekend and am making a brace that will attach to the holes for the motor mount. It just occurred to me that the new engine (early 80's - it has 7/16 head bolts) may not have the same thread size as mine (3/8 course). The early 80's were a transition time for many auto manufacturers from SAE/English hardware to Metric.

Anyone know for sure what the thread size is in the block where the motor mounts go?

Thanks
Dave

I can't imagine that it has 1/4" bolts to hold the motor mounts. Sometimes the 3/8 aren't enough. I had to drill and tap mine out to 5/16" because I was breaking the 3/8 bolts.

3/8-16, use grade 5 or 8

I can't imagine that it has 1/4" bolts to hold the motor mounts. Sometimes the 3/8 aren't enough. I had to drill and tap mine out to 5/16" because I was breaking the 3/8 bolts.

:laugh:

I think you mean drilled out to 7/16"

I'll add, use split-ring lock washers also. ;)
LG

Thanks for that. I don't want any surprises on top of 15 hours in the car!
I would also suggest asking the seller to run a 3/8” 16 bolt in just to be positive before heading off. It’s already been mentioned here that folks enlarge the holes.

I plan on taking a handful of SAE bolts/nuts, just wanted to make sure the chances of it being Metric were slim to none.

Thanks for the help. My contraption worked well, and bolted right up to the block. It was an epic 22 hour trip to Connecticut and back in a 20 year old GMC 1500 pickup with a quarter of a million miles on it.

The engine has about 10K miles on it after a rebuild and has lots of blue paint.

My co-pilot (and owner of the getaway vehicle) said he'd do it again, but not this year ;-)

Dave

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks