Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7 401 Auto
'01 2500HD
'49 Chevy Pickup
'05 FLHT
'47 Flathead 45
Currently towing my CJ to the trails on a 16' tandem axle trailer behind my 1/2 ton Tahoe.

Looking to upgrade this summer to a 30' deckover bumper pull trailer hauling both the CJ and my son's YJ on it.

Truck I am looking at is a 2000 Chevy 2500 Extended cab (4 door) with a 6.0L automatic. Has 4X4 and tow/haul package including trans cooler and brake controller.

Any thoughts on if this will work? Or am I going to regret this decision. Will only be hauling the trailer 3 or 4 times a year. Rest of the time, truck will be a DD for the wife.

Haven't driven the truck you are speaking of, but I will tell you that I will never go back to a gas engine after having a deisel. I tow a 21 foot travel trailer with my F250 Powerstroke, and love it. Good luck with your truck search/purchase.:)

Haven't driven the truck you are speaking of, but I will tell you that I will never go back to a gas engine after having a deisel. I tow a 21 foot travel trailer with my F250 Powerstroke, and love it. Good luck with your truck search/purchase.:)

X2 on that! I love a gas V8, but for towing give me a "Diesel"!
I have an old 12 Valve Cummins 6 & a Pow'r Stroke V8 both aftercooled turbo diesel, direct injected engines. I also have three diesel tractors. More efficient, More power where you need it.:D
If your gonna tow, do it right.;)

While I agree for the towing part that a diesel would be better, notice I said the better half would be driving it as a DD the rest (read majority) of the time.

Extremely doubtful she will go with a diesel for her DD.

Talk her into it. You will get better mpg with the diesel.
That 6.0 is going to be killing it's self pulling two jeeps.

While I agree for the towing part that a diesel would be better, notice I said the better half would be driving it as a DD the rest (read majority) of the time.

Extremely doubtful she will go with a diesel for her DD.

Late model diesel rigs are posh & smooth as a gas engine.
They have 5 speed automatic transmissions.
They are a lot quieter than they once were.

eh if your only going to be towing with it 4 times a year i'd spring for the gas burner. gas is cheaper than diesel, you don't have the added cost of having to change the fuel filters all the time, plus the more expensive oil a diesel uses. besides the wife won't like having to mess with the oily diesel pumps (they all are), or hunting for a place that sells diesel. if you were the one driving it and towing with it more, then yeah go for the diesel but to me it wouldn't be worth the added expense, for what you are describing using it for. let her get diesel fuel on her nice clothes one time and she won't be very happy atleast my wife wouldn't, and if my wife ain't happy, my sex life sucks.

Last edited:
do your research
if i recall the diesel gets a better mileage than the 6.0 eng in the chevys
Look around and see what dome of the diffrent sites say about mileage and what kind of problems people are having

Talk her into it. You will get better mpg with the diesel.
That 6.0 is going to be killing it's self pulling two jeeps.

Late model diesel rigs are posh & smooth as a gas engine.
They have 5 speed automatic transmissions.
They are a lot quieter than they once were.

I'm with these guys. I will never again own a gas fuel truck for any reason. My 03 CTD Dodge quad cab is a dream to drive. It's my designated work truck, but It has full leather, heated seats, and all the other toys. We use it for dinner out, daily driving, and load it up with dive gear for trips to Florida. It's smooth, quiet, solid, ROOMY, and set the cruise on 70 mph, will get 25-30 mpg on the flats. Even pulling a heavy trailer for work, It will knock down 17+ mpg on the highway. A gasser simply can't be compared to a diesel on any level.

Currently towing my CJ to the trails on a 16' tandem axle trailer behind my 1/2 ton Tahoe.

Looking to upgrade this summer to a 30' deckover bumper pull trailer hauling both the CJ and my son's YJ on it.

Truck I am looking at is a 2000 Chevy 2500 Extended cab (4 door) with a 6.0L automatic. Has 4X4 and tow/haul package including trans cooler and brake controller.

Any thoughts on if this will work? Or am I going to regret this decision. Will only be hauling the trailer 3 or 4 times a year. Rest of the time, truck will be a DD for the wife.

Are you sure that truck even has a high enough tow rating?
I kinda doubt if it does, your going to be pulling over 10,000 lbs. or close to it.:eek:

Search the RV Forum websites.I have a 30' Jayco and a 2500 HD HEMI 5.7 Dodge.It pulled it okay even in the hills.Problem was the stability wasn't there.It could push you all over the road even thou you had the power to pull it.
My neighbour hooked on to it with his Ford 350 diesel and took off and we didn't even know it was back there.When you had to stop in the city at the lights it was quick to stop,where the 2500 wasn't.When he fires up the diesel in the morning for work we don't even hear it.It runs very quiet so I which I would have went with the one ton diesel now.
Mike

eh if your only going to be towing with it 4 times a year i'd spring for the gas burner. gas is cheaper than diesel, you don't have the added cost of having to change the fuel filters all the time, plus the more expensive oil a diesel uses. besides the wife won't like having to mess with the oily diesel pumps (they all are), or hunting for a place that sells diesel. if you were the one driving it and towing with it more, then yeah go for the diesel but to me it wouldn't be worth the added expense, for what you are describing using it for. let her get diesel fuel on her nice clothes one time and she won't be very happy atleast my wife wouldn't, and if my wife ain't happy, my sex life sucks.

Talk to her about it. She may be ok with a diesel. My wife's DD is a diesel Liberty, she couldn't be happier with it. Also, if you are goint to be pulling a trailer that long, I would suggest a gooseneck. They pull way better and they are much smoother at highway speeds. just my $.02.

if you are going to be pulling a trailer that long, I would suggest a gooseneck. They pull way better and they are much smoother at highway speeds. just my $.02.

X2 on the fifth wheel.
Have you done anything yet Iceman ?

I would consider a gooseneck except for the fact I got this trailer for the grand total of $0.00!! Guy in our club had it and didn't use it anymore. His new lady convinced him to get it out of the yard, and it now resides in mine.

Needs the wood deck replaced is all, so hard to justify getting rid of it. I also have a 16' car trailer for when I tow just the CJ7 and not both mine and my son's rigs, so will only be using the big trailer for the rare occasion.
(It is nice though that both my son and daughter enjoy going wheeling we us. It truly is a family affair for us.)

Decided to keep looking at this time and not jump on the 6.0L 2500 just yet. Wife says she will test drive a diesel, so there may be hope after all.

Re: 1st Pickup Tow rig question Bought one

Well, with the advise of a few folks on here, went ahead and purchased a tow rig.

2001 Silverado 2500HD
Quad Cab, Loaded
8.1L Vortec motor with Allison Transmission
Tow package.

016.jpg
015.jpg
009.jpg
011.jpg

Well, with the advise of a few folks on here, went ahead and purchased a tow rig.

2001 Silverado 2500HD
Quad Cab, Loaded
8.1L Vortec motor with Allison Transmission
Tow package.

016.jpg
015.jpg
009.jpg
011.jpg

So I'll ask you what everybody ask me.
What's the MPG in that?

So I'll ask you what everybody ask me.
What's the MPG in that?

will let you know. Just picked it up today and haven't really got to drive it much yet.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom