1984 CJ-7 Clutch issue

1984 CJ-7 Clutch issue

84CJ7Renegade

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ-7, 258, T176, D300
I am receiving a '84 CJ7 Monday and the owner says he isnt sure if the guy who restored it installed the clutch linkage. What is the best way to tell if he did without causing damage to the clutch or tranny?

It's kind of hard to do damage to the transmission if the clutch linkage is not installed. If there is no linkage, assuming that the clutch assembly has been correctly installed, the clutch just won't work. There is a fairly weak spring that holds the pedal all the way up and off the throw out bearing. If there is no linkage to the clutch, and the pedal is not already all the way to the floor, you will be able to push it to the floor with one finger. If the linkage is installed correctly, you should be able to push the pedal about 1" to 1 1/4" easily, (free play), then feel the resistance of the pressure plate the rest of the way. Obviously, the easiest way is to crawl under the Jeep and just look to see if the push rod is between the clutch fork and the bell crank. You need to have this free play. If the clutch pedal is hard to push all the way, that means that the throw out bearing is in constant contact with the pressure plate, and will wear out very quickly. The throw out bearing is only meant to be in contact with the pressure plate during gear shifting, or when standing in gear while running such as at a stop light.

I got the jeep today, the clutch is moving the fork but is light until 3/4 of the way to the floor. The jeep will not move when it is in gear so i guess that means there is a clutch in there lol. What is the best way to adjust the clutch?

If you have a manual clutch, you need to loosen the jam nuts and turn the large end that contacts the fork out. Do this one side at a time. You don't want to only turn one side to do the entire adjustment because you run the risk of unthreading the rod too far. Adjust the linkage until there is about 1" to 1 1/4" of free travel in the pedal before feeling hard resistance.

004-cj-clutch-linkage-replacement-barnett-performance-jp-magazine-stuart-bourdon.jpg

You SURE the t'case is in gear? :confused:
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks