Build Thread 1983 CJ7 FRANKEN-J build

Build Thread 1983 CJ7 FRANKEN-J build

Armyvet25

Beach Runner
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 83 CJ7, 2012 JKU, 1995 YJ
Recently acquired an 83 CJ7, 97-00 tub, CJ7 front clip and drivetrain, some misc YJ components as well.
Currently a 258ci auto resides underneath, will either be using another low mileage 258ci or V8 304.
Have collected a lot of pieces parts plus trans, TC's, misc. Will update with additional info as I go.
Currently negotiating for a replacement frame as the current one is not salvageable.
777i.jpg

Welcome ! Where did It originally reside with all that rust ? Ohio ?

I don't know it's history, but yeah, located in northern
Ohio by Lake Erie

777r.jpg

777q.jpg

Yeah that salt is cruel on CJ metal.

I've been in the sickness for quite some time, thanks
Not sure how many more projects I can endure, too many aches and pains, sux getting old

Did some bartering, no out of pocket gash yield half doors and front springs.

2022-06-22_163154.jpg

couldn't tell you, Franken-J has a 97-00 TJ tub, I have slides for it, so will be bolting the seats to them. Everything on this beast will be mostly custom, not a bolt on the TJ tub either

Look like pretty good seats

Since I'm in the early stages of this build, there may be many detours along the way, one such may be a V8 swap, I have the opportunity to get my hands on a low mileage Chevy 305, I know, it's not a 350, but I don't really need that much horsepower to destroy everything or dump tons of $$$ in high performance everything.
Question, the 305 has approx 170hp almost 300 ft lbs of torque, can the T4 stand up to it if not beat on? Read some say it won't on the net, I know a 3550 or other 4-5spd might be a better choice, but here in lies the issue, $$$ always boils down to it, I would have to buy a tranny, possibly a different TC, front axle from the CJ would no longer line up, I'd like to keep as many of my current components as possible. Now the 305 currently has an auto 700r mated to it, considered using it temporarily and 2wd it till I eventually sourced all the high end parts and pieces needed. but really would like to build once, not 2 or 3 times.
With the 305 and T4, I've found a cheap used bellhousing to mate the 2, which would alleviate a lot, also sourced a flywheel cheap, just have to piece together the clutch components.
Thoughts and directions?

Do you not like slush boxes? That 700r4 is a good tranny to keep on that v8 but it’s costly to convert to 4x4. Don’t use that T4. Use Novak’s guidance for selecting the right transmission for the lowest cost. And yes, build once and save a lot.

Do you not like slush boxes? That 700r4 is a good tranny to keep on that v8 but it’s costly to convert to 4x4. Don’t use that T4. Use Novak’s guidance for selecting the right transmission for the lowest cost. And yes, build once and save a lot.
ok, found this setup--->1992 5spd Nv3500 transmission 4x4 With Transfer Case, for sale, might be moving on it in the next couple days, eliminates a lot of problems and adapters, just need driveshafts to mate up with front and rear YJ axle
2022-07-06_084536.jpg
picking up flywheel/clutch as well. Will setup an external slave with this as this is what was setup in the first place, makes everything simpler.
305 already in my driveway😛, selling the 700R to recoup some cost.
So...looks like I'm committing to a V8 build, means I'll have 2x 4.2's to sell, and another auto, a T4, a Dana300 and whatever TC mated to the auto, should help fund the project more.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks