Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Rapid restore - 1 Year build from tired and rusty to all go and some show..

Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Rapid restore - 1 Year build from tired and rusty to all go and some show..
I would just use a piece of hose-clear so you can see what’s going on.

I use clear hose but my siphoning by mouth days are over long ago.. :) Even if you use just a clear tube to suck it out you still need to stow that hose somewhere when you're done and they stink :)

I agree. I usually use a rag with hose on the full can and blow hard into the opening around the hose and that pressure is usually enough to start it and once it starts flowing it’s going. Cap the ends of the hose and store it back by the cans. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. I usually use a rag with hose on the full can and blow hard into the opening around the hose and that pressure is usually enough to start it and once it starts flowing it’s going. Cap the ends of the hose and store it back by the cans. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the ideas, you got definitely got me thinking! 5-10 years ago I wouldn't be having this conversation and would have said to myself suck it up and just pour the can in the tank you big baby but I'm getting older, arthritis and a whole lot of hockey injuries later, things like holding a fuel can for 2-3 mins can be a challenge..

Yeah I’ve entered that territory myself. I am swapping 31s to 33s and the weight difference seems significant. Lifting the spare to its resting place was a 2 step process instead of 15 years ago just lifting and tossing it up there. I was thinking maybe I should have called AAA and said I have 5 flats at the house and can you come and change them out.

I was thinking maybe I should have called AAA and said I have 5 flats at the house and can you come and change them out.
🤣

Back when I was 17-18 and had my first CJ7, I could lift the hard top on and off by myself on my back! Now I have to wait until my son in law comes out to the farm.. Really need to build myself a lift system for the hard top next.. I have lots of room here on my property and was thinking of a drive through hoist setup just not sure how straps would attach yet without drilling holes in the roof.

You should be able to figure out some type of sling system.

Yes. Simple strap and 2x6 setup works for the top storage. Still hanging in my garage for storing the TJ’s top.
IMG_7105.jpeg

One of the reasons I dont care for hardtops is the amount of space they take up. When I had mine I took it off at Easter and put it on at Thanksgiving. That way the kid was always there to give me a hand.

The other reason I dont like hardtops is they leave a nasty scratch on your back when the break apart doing a roll.

IMG_20200126_034202272.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Glad you survived that ice.

Dang! Yes, that’ll leave a mark!

Glad you survived that ice.
Thanks , Me too. 🤣 I always joke with my daughter I wish there was video of it. Maybe play that song " I believe I can fly , I believe I can touch the sky" in the backround. I only remember being a few inches from the drivers door hitting the road then waking up about 100 ft away on the side of the road looking at the bottom of the Jeep. Definitely got lucky there.

IMG_20200126_032936165.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Dang! Yes, that’ll leave a mark!
Yeah that would leave a scar in the mind. I still remember 36 years ago driving down the road and POW ! First thought was maybe a bomb. Some knucklehead had tossed a chunk of steel off an overpass and hit where the grill and hood meet. I was a little traumatized from that and the damage to my Jeep mainly. That hood remained leaning against the back fence corner another 20 years as a reminder. I found the chunk also and kept it. Some kind of shaft. Seems like it happened not that long ago.

One of the reasons I dont care for hardtops is the amount of space they take up. When I had mine I took it off at Easter and put it on at Thanksgiving. That way the kid was always there to give me a hand.

The other reason I dont like hardtops is they leave a nasty scratch on your back when the break apart doing a roll.

View attachment 100875

Oh man thats not good.

Some new visors, mine were missing. PXL_20240323_165103082.jpg
Speaking of hardtops, I also got around the making the no tools latches. My window frame hole are chewed out as usual. I took a chance on these latches and they work great.

PXL_20240327_011818088.jpg
PXL_20240327_011811887.jpg
I bought new thumb screws for the rear also so no tools top removal.Now to build that sling contraption!

How many rolls did you take on that?

I have a full cage planned for this build later in the year.
Not really sure. I remember being a few inches from the door hitting the asphalt then I woke up on the side of the road looking at the bottom of the Jeep about 150 ft. away. Judging from the time I left my house , where I was at and what time I woke up I was out for about 20 minutes. I have a full cage in my 79 and will definitely have one in the 82 at some point.

Got around to mounting my jackall.
PXL_20240328_010316006.jpg
PXL_20240328_010305791.jpg
PXL_20240328_010327023.jpg
I am also trying out some LED headlights. They were an impulse buy off Amazon and dirt cheap. They are super bright in the garage...As an older fart, I am having trouble staying up late enough to try them out 😂
They seem a bit bulgy and don't sit back far enough in my opinion.

Have any more info on the lights? Im looking as well.
These are what I ordered, price is in CAD$ . There was no make or model, came in a plain white box, a generic Chinese product. They pigtail is correct and they are plug and play except they dont sit far enough back in the housing in my opinion. They seem sturdy enough I suppose, the lense material is extremely soft and they scratch super easy. There was no depth listed in their specs but looking around there are other options that may not be as "fat" and sit back in the housing better. Its that or cut out some out of your OEM housing :( I opted for longer screws on the ring but its not great. Once I actually use them at night on the road I will decide on looking for a better set or modifying things to seat them properly.

1711629988547.png
Here is a better picture of the "Bulge".

PXL_20240312_233358416.jpg
Now If I take my glasses off...
1711632154018.png

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks