Engine 1979, 258ci Oil capacity

Engine 1979, 258ci Oil capacity

kushneap

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7, 258ci
Hey guys new here and new to CJ's. Have a '79 with the 258ci, been seeing conflicting answers on oil capacity. Some say 5qt. some say 6qt.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Are you all mostly running conventional 10w30?

Thanks!

Solution
:welcome:
As many answers on this as there are 258's... :D There were a few different oil pans on 79 ~ 80's 258's. I found that my CJ8 is 5.5 qts at change w/ filter. Best place to start is 4 qts + 1 for filter then run until warm. Check dipstick. I'm betting you have the average pan and you will need another 1/2 qt. If you over fill by 1/2 (6 qts) it won't hurt anything.
I run 10w50 synthetic in mine, but I never see cold weather. 10w30 is factory recommended.
As many answers on this as there are 258's... :D There were a few different oil pans on 79 ~ 80's 258's. I found that my CJ8 is 5.5 qts at change w/ filter. Best place to start is 4 qts + 1 for filter then run until warm. Check dipstick. I'm betting you have the average pan and you will need another 1/2 qt. If you over fill by 1/2 (6 qts) it won't hurt anything.
I run 10w50 synthetic in mine, but I never see cold weather. 10w30 is factory recommended.

Solution
To my next question. Where is the oil dipstick?

Thank you for your answer by the way I appreciate it.

It's not uncommon where it has for some reason been removed or was broken and never replaced. If the tube is broken and still in the block they can be a pain to remove. The proper way to remove the tube is to pull the pan, but I have in a pinch driven the tube down until it fell into the pan then put in a new tube or a universal. Don't trust the dipstick length (tube length is irrelevant), always calibrate dipstick length @ an oil change.

258dsloc.jpg
258dsloc2.jpg

It's not uncommon where it has for some reason been removed or was broken and never replaced. If the tube is broken and still in the block they can be a pain to remove. The proper way to remove the tube is to pull the pan, but I have in a pinch driven the tube down until it fell into the pan then put in a new tube or a universal. Don't trust the dipstick length (tube length is irrelevant), always calibrate dipstick length @ an oil change.

View attachment 100731
View attachment 100732
That is a killer diagram I appreciate it a lot. Light of day I will take a look and see what I see.

Thank you again.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks