Build Thread 1978 CJ5 hunting rig

Build Thread 1978 CJ5 hunting rig

Jari12

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 C104 commando, 232, turbo 400, D20, D30, D44
'78 CJ5, 258, 3spd
I needed a hunting rig and recently bought a 1978 CJ5. It had been sitting for a few years and came with dry rotted 35 x 12.50 - 15s a few inches of lift a broken winch and lots of body rot. However, it had a great meyers steel hardtop and natural camo in the form of lichen and mold on top of a faded OD green paintjob. I started my build by welding in homemade floor boards, fixing the winch, putting on new 285/75-16 inch tires on old Willys rims and replacing the mouse chewed seats with new low back ones. The pictures are before and after. The bondo covered body tub is going to wait until after deer season.
img_20180913_174544.jpg
img_20181003_182407.jpg

putting on new 285/75-16 inch tires on old Willys rims
Pics are small and can't make out the rims. Did you mean to say old AMC rims? I'm assuming you have front disc brakes being a 78, stock Willys rims won't fit over disc brakes. Finding a shop to mount 10.4" wide tire on 4.50 wide rims would be hard to find in my area even telling them their for offroad use only.

Sounds like you did well getting it back to life. Good on you!

They are old rims. They are narrow but I don't think that they are 4.5 inches wide. They came off of an old commando, but were not original to it either. They fit over the 11" drums on my '72 Commando but did not fit over the rear drums or front discs on the CJ until I used wheel spacers. It gave me a little wider track and let the rims fit. I tore all the rust and bondo off the body this summer. Gave it new front fenders, made new rockers, new rear body support/mount, new taillight panels, new tailgate surround, and welded on some rear quarters. Redid the rattle can paintjob in the same OD green and white. Made an oak slat floor and tubing roof rack with some cheap lights. Still have more to do but it looks good for now and is ready for another hunting season. Has a new clutch and one piece rear axle shafts as well. Getting ready to replace the leaf springs since the rear ones are almost flat.

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_162733.jpg
    IMG_20200901_162733.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20200901_162747.jpg
    IMG_20200901_162747.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200901_162817.jpg
    IMG_20200901_162817.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 37
You really made it look great ! Nice top also.

Sorry about the pictures in that first post not being big enough to see. The links don't seem to be working now either. If you go to my profile page and check out the album you can see pics of when I got it and shortly after with the narrow rims. For the first two years I drove it with just the new rims, quick white roof paint job and patched floors. The pics above show it now after lots of body work. Very little bondo now and lots of new steel. Didn't want it perfect, just sturdy.

The album also shows two pics of my '72 commando that is the next project. It is going to get a stretched jeepster commando hood to make it look like a Jeepster commando and repainted red and white to match my wife's 1971 Travelmate vintage camping trailer.

72 Commando! Oh heck yes! One of my fav. vehicles I ever owned. :beer:
Thanks. It was a Father's Day gift from my wife and kids when my kids were in car seats. My two kids and I went out and retrieved it from a field on Father's Day and towed it home. Got it going and used it off road only for a few years. Gave rides, taught some niece's and nephews to drive in it out in the field. It has sat for many years now and it's time to get it going. I'll start another build thread for it if its OK to have a Commando on a CJ forum. Lot's of shared parts between the two. Almost everything I am buying for parts right now are used CJ parts. Power steering and power brake swap etc.

Thanks. It was a Father's Day gift from my wife and kids when my kids were in car seats. My two kids and I went out and retrieved it from a field on Father's Day and towed it home. Got it going and used it off road only for a few years. Gave rides, taught some niece's and nephews to drive in it out in the field. It has sat for many years now and it's time to get it going. I'll start another build thread for it if its OK to have a Commando on a CJ forum. Lot's of shared parts between the two. Almost everything I am buying for parts right now are used CJ parts. Power steering and power brake swap etc.
My kids have both just graduated with their Masters degrees now. So it is time to get going on it. One I'm done with them, each kid will get one of the Jeeps.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom