Misc. 1975 CJ5 304 Fuel slow to Carb

Misc. 1975 CJ5 304 Fuel slow to Carb

78dave

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5 304
My 1975 CJ5 304 takes for ever to get gas up to the carb. Seems like it has to be primed often to get it running and then it runs. Leave it sit a few hours and it takes a while to get gas up the carb. I have pulled the fuel line at the carb and watched it as it took time to flow into a bottle. Not a strong stream either. The 304 has return line on the fuel filter. Anyway is this normal? Week fuel pump?

Couple of possibilities. Pump has an issue. I've seen mechanical fuel pumps get a hole or crack in the diaphragm inside them. Sock filter in the tank plugged up. Have to pull the sending unit to check that. I would've said a potential carb issue, but you already stated you pulled the line from the pump outlet and believe the flow is too weak at that point. Remember, about 5-8 psi is all you should see from the pump going into the carb anyway. In terms of the return line on the filter, yes. That is correct and stock.

Replace the pump there cheap see if the problem goes away

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

OK, 1975 304 is running pretty good. It does start up after a little pumping and runs well. I was looking though down the throat and it looks like the fuel just spills into the carb and not so much of a spray anything representing a spray. I also see little change in the two mixture screws as I try to adjust the, Again though it runs well. So is it possible the two main jets are too big? It seems like maybe they had a 57 or 75 on them. Can't remember. Thanks for your help

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks